Skilled Immigration

Skilled migration program  

Find out about he Skilled stream of the Migration Program, which is designed to attract migrants who make a significant contribution to the Australian economy, and fill positions where no Australian workers are available.

Skilled visa newsletters  

See our monthly Skilled migration newsletters.

Skilled occupation list  

The skilled occupation list (SOL) summarises the occupations Australia needs to fill skill shortages.

Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) 

 The Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) is closed to new applicants. If you are a current visa holder, see your obligations.

Skilled migration program – What we do 

 Find out what we do in the Skilled migration program.

Working and skilled visas  

See a list of working and skilled visas that you may be able to access to bring workers to work for you in a regional area.

Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190) 

 This visa lets nominated skilled workers live and work in Australia as permanent residents.

Working in a regional area  

The Australian Government is committed to supporting migrants to settle in regional areas, including through visa concessions that encourage long-term settlement.


  Regional employers and skilled migrants applying for regional visas have access to more occupations than are available to metropolitan areas.

Regional Skilled (Provisional) (subclass 489)

  See how you can work and live in regional Australia, without a sponsoring employer.

Skilled migration program – Recent changes  

See the most recent changes to our Skilled migration program.

Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489)  

For skilled workers who want to live and work in Australia. You can bring your family. If you get this visa, you might be able to apply for the Skilled Regional (Permanent) visa (subclass 887).

Skilled regional visa (subclass 887) 

 This visa is for people who have lived and worked in specified areas of regional Australia on a previous visa. You can apply for this visa if you are a skilled worker wanting to live and work in Australia permanently.

Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) 

 This visa is for invited workers and New Zealand citizens with skills we need, to live and work permanently anywhere in Australia.

Employ or sponsor someone  

The Australian government is assisting regional employers and regional communities through providing access to a wide range of visas tailored to meet their needs. See what visas you may be able to access.

New regional visas  

Information about the new regional visas.

Working in Australia legislative instruments  

This page provides information on the formal legislative instrument(s) which specify the occupations available for the skilled visa types.

Migration program planning levels 

 The Migration Program is set annually and is designed to achieve a range of economic and social outcomes. See how many places are available for this year