Open Work Permit

Who Is Eligible To Apply For The Canadian Open Work Permit?

You may qualify for an Open Work Permit if:

The applicant is already working in Canada and the applicant’s permanent resident application has been approved under any one of the following programs:

  • Spouse or common law partner in Canada class
  • Live in care giver program
  • Federal skilled worker program
  • Canadian experience class
  • Provincial nominee program
  • Federal skilled trades program
  • Humanitarian and compassionate grounds

You may also be eligible if the permanent resident visa of the applicant’s family member got approved under the following conditions:

  • The applicant’s spouse is a skilled worker in any occupation under the NOC skill types A, B, 0 or if the applicant’s spouse is a foreign student.
  • The applicant is in Canada under the agreement of federalterritorial immigration which includes an active pilot project.
  • The applicant is also eligible if he is a spouse or dependent child of a temporary resident of Canada with pilot project.
  • The applicant if enrolled as a full time student in any eligible education institution is also eligible for the open work permit.
  • If the applicant is a holder of a temporary resident permit which is valid for 6 months.
  • If the applicant is participating in the Canada youth program or in international experience Canada program.
  • If the applicant has filed a claim for the refugee protection and is waiting for the decision on the filed claim or cannot pay the basic needs without working.
  • If the applicant’s refugee claim is rejected but the Canadian government is not ready to remove the applicant.
  • If the applicant is a family member of a foreign representative
  • If the applicant is a family member of the foreign military member working in Canada.
  • If the applicant is a professionals.

Requirements To Obtain The Open Work Permit:

In order to get eligible for the Canadian open work permit, the applicant must satisfy all the criteria mentioned in the list below.

  • The applicant should be in Canada
  • The applicant should have a work permit that is valid and is set to expire within four months
  • The applicant must receive a positive decision on the permanent Canadian resident application under the economic class or federal skilled worker class or Canadian experience class or the deferral skilled trades program
  • The applicant must make an application for the open work permit.