Federal Skilled Trades Program

Federal Skilled Trade Workers program is one of the Federal government programs approved for Express Entry. This is a program for people who would like to become Permanent Residents based on their qualifications in a skilled trade. You must use the Express Entry system to come to Canada as a Federal Skilled Trade worker. You must meet the eligibility requirements, skilled work experience, education, and language abilities to qualify.

Eligibility to apply for the Federal Skilled Trades Program


To be eligible for this program you must:

  • Plan to live outside Quebec
  • Meet the required levels in English or French for all language ability  (writing, listening, speaking, and writing).
  • Have full-time work experience of at least two years (or equal amount of pat-time work experience) within five years before applying.
  • Meet the job requirement as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) for that skilled trade, except for needing a certificate of qualification, and
  • Have at least one year of full-time employment or certificate qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.

Full- time employment means that you worked for at least 30 hours per week for two years in your skilled trade within five years prior to your application.

Full time work: 30 hours/week for 12 months=1 year full time (1,560hours)

Part time: 15 hours/week for 24 months =1 year full time (1,560 hours)


30 hours/week for 12 months at more than one job =1 year full time (1,560 hours).

You can only have two employers commit to employing you for a minimum of one year of continuous full-time work of at least 30 hours of work per week.