There are many common misconceptions of common law relationships. For this reason, let us first understand what common-law means for the purposes of immigration to Canada.

According to Citizenship and Immigration Canada, the government considers this (Common-law Sponsorship) to mean a couple living together for one year without any long periods of separation. Either partner may have left the home for work or business travels, family obligations, and so on. However, that separation must have been temporary and short.

Help your spouse or common-law partner work in Canada

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Help your spouse or commonlaw partner work in Canada Who can get a work permit as the spouse or commonlaw partner of a student? Your spouse or commonlaw partner may be eligible for an open work permit if you: have a valid study permit and are a full-time student at one of these types of schools: a public post-secondary school, such as a college